Was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and educated at the Culross Preparatory School and the Dollar Academy from 1887 to 1893. He was articled to Thomas Hyslop Ure, a Dunfermline architect, from September 1893 to February 1898. On completion of articles he was employed as an Improver to J Graham Fairley, architect, Edinburgh, from March 1898 until June 1899 and subsequently as improver to Thos Frame & Son from 1899 to 1900. Marshall then joined Peddie & Washington Brown, studying steel construction (1900-c1903) at Aloa and working as an assistant. In 1903 Marshall left for South Africa. He worked first for William BLACK in Cape Town (May 1903 - February 1904) and then entered H BAKER's office in Cape Town (BAKER & MASEY), working in Bloemfontein, King William's Town and Johannesburg on Baker & Masey's account. In the course of his work Marshall went on a five-week trip to The Wilderness in 1904 in connection with the 'Steytler's scheme' and, from November 1904 until June 1905, he worked on the Government Buildings in Bloemfontein. From June 1905 until August 1906 he was in Baker's Johannesburg office after which he returned to the Cape Town office. In June 1907 he was in Grahamstown superintending St Peter's Hall, before taking a five-month break from June to October 1908, in England. On his return he worked inn King William's Town until March 1909 when he was appointed Herbert Baker's chief assistant. He became Baker's chief of staff in 1911 and remained in Baker's office until February 1914. During his time in Baker's office, he pointed out in his LRIBA nomination papers, he submitted a set of 1/4 scale prints of plans for the 'new station, Pretoria, in course of erection and photographs of Sir Lionel Phillips's house, Arcadia, and of the Union Buildings'. He travelled to Egypt and Europe between February and July 1914, spending from July 1914 to January 1915 in Baker's London office.
Marshall returned to South Africa in March 1915 and set up independent practice in Central House, Johannesburg and entered into partnership with JM SOLOMON in October 1916 (cf. SOLOMON & MARSHALL) in connection with the new buildings for the University of the Cape of Good Hope in Cape Town. The partnership was dissolved by Solomon's death in 1920.
Marshall had previously worked with Solomon in Baker's offices in Cape Town and then in Johannesburg on the house Arcadia. According to Gutsche (1966:361) Marshall collapsed under the strain of assisting Solomon with the vast work of the University of Cape Town - thus it was not only Solomon's health which was affected by this project. Walgate (cf. CP WALGATE), appointed to assist Solomon, recorded that Marshall's report on the planning of the University had been demolished by Professor SNAPE, after which Marshall no longer appeared on the scene. Marshall returned to practice on his own account in Johannesburg after 1920. He married in December 1925 and travelled abroad with his wife, returning in February 1926. In September 1931 Marshall was invited to take up the supervision of the new Johannesburg Public Library for John PERRY (November 1931 until 1936) and following this, the supervision for PERRY & LIGHTFOOT of the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court (July 1936-July 1945). In 1938 he was associate architect with Robert HOWDEN for the design of the Mental Hospital at Krugersdorp for the PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT. Marshall continued to practise in Johannesburg through the 1940s; in 1945 he was in some form of partnership with Colin M PAYNTER. Architecturally, Marshall remained Baker's disciple for his entire career.
There is also a listing of this practitioner on the Dictionary of Scottish Architects.
TIA 1909; LIBRA 1911; ISAA 1927; FRIBA 1938/9. (Brown 1969; Building Mar 1919:255: Cumming-George 1934; Fassler Papers; Gutsche 1966:361; Herbert 1975; Pearse 1960(?); RAU doc 1975; LRIBA nom papers (1911); FRIBA nom papers (1938); SAAR Jun 1929:43 ill in 'Domestic Architecture in South Africa'; SAAR May 1955:47 death notice; SAB Apr 1931:23)
Publ: South African Architecture, Outlook in South Africa: 89 ill.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.