Also referred to as PENDER-WEST, J
An architect who worked in East London circa 1900-1909 before he left for Canada. Pender-West was born in Bungay, Suffolk, England ande was articled JB Pearce, FRIBA, in Norwich with whom he remained eight years. He entered into partnership with H Bignold (n.d.) in London, leaving for South Africa three years later for health reasons. He was first employed in South Africa by J PARKER in Cape Town 1898/9. Parker sent Pender-West to East London to supervise a new building for Cuthbert's, and the building of the East London High Schools in 1901. West settled in East London where he set up independent practice. In about 1905 he designed the Cathcart Town Hall and was appointed architect to the Kaffrarian Steam Mill Co Ltd (n.d.). He was also responsible for the design of several schools, at Lady Frere, Stutterheim, Bedford, Butterworth and Cathcart and in Cambridge in East London, according to the South African Master Builders' Federation Journal (Feb 1905:4). He married in 1907 and two years later left for Canada where he became a prominent architect, working in Winnipeg, Manitoba from 1909 until late 1913. He first was employed on the architectural staff of the City Power Department before he reentered private practice. Several small walk-up apartment buildings designed by him in the Winnipeg area still stand. In 1912 he entered into partnership with DWF Nicols, practising as Nicols & Pender-West. There is no record of Pender-West in Canada after 1913.
(East London Red Book 1904; Hill 1985; SAA&B Feb 1905:95; SAAE&S Jnl Oct 1905:9; SAWW 1908)
The following name and business address was included under the 'Architects' category in the Red Book of 1906:
West, J. Pender, Cuthbert's Buildings, Oxford Street.
Ref: East London and Frontier Red Book 1906, Standard Printing Co, East London, 270
[Submitted by William MARTINSON]
All truncated references not cited and linked below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books with reference to WEST, J Pender
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pp 211, 221, 222, 229|