STREET-WILSON and PATONEstablished:
List of Projects
The partnership in Durban between W STREET-WILSON and J Wallace PATON from about 1898 (Hillebrand 1975:193); according to Street-Wilson's FRIBA nomination papers (1906), Street-Wilson admitted Paton to partnership in about 1904/1905. After Street-Wilson's death in 1928, Wallace Paton continued the business under the same style, later bringing Charles Silver Milne TAYLOR into the practice, the style of the firm becoming PATON & TAYLOR. Among the firm's early jobs was the design of Emmanuel Cathedral for Bishop Jolivet, Durban, during which a case of bad management was brought against them by the clients (Street-Wilson & Paton v Roman Catholic Mission, Pietermaritzburg Supreme Court 15 Oct 1906) which Street-Wilson & Paton won (Spiller 1985). Several buildings which have been put into Street-Wilson & Paton's oeuvre because they fit the partnership dates have been found only under Street-Wilson's FRIBA nom papers (1906) and so might not belong to both should a definite partnership date be established. Nevertheless it possible that Paton worked on several since he was in the office at the time. The firm exhibited photographs and drawings in the South African Academy [of Arts] Exhibition (1926) of St John's School Chapel, Pietermaritzburg; a drawing, perhaps that exhibited, currently hangs in the school chapel.
(FRIBA nom papers S-W 1906; Spiller 1985; UNSAL)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.