STUCKE and BANNISTEREstablished: 1901
The partnership between WH STUCKE and WE BANNISTER from 1901 until Bannister left for England in 1908. At the outbreak of the Anglo-Boer War Stucke moved to Port Elizabeth with Bannister who became a partner in 1901, the firm being styled Stucke & Bannister. JE HARRISON joined them in Port Elizabeth where the firm appears to have remained for the duration of the war. They designed several buildings in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Durban during this period, mainly for the South African Mutual Life Assurance Company; they were placed fifth in the competition for the Bank of Africa in St George's Street, Cape Town in 1906 for whom they subsequently designed a bank in Vryheid (drawings in the Lucas Meyer House Museum, Vryheid.) After the war they returned to Johannesburg.
(Afr Archt Jan 1912:161; Building Dec 1918:206-09; Longland's Tvl & Rhod dir 1903:523; Picton-Seymour 1977:107; SAAE&S Jnl Oct 1906:4; SAAE&S Jnl Aug 1906:156- 58; SAB May 1924:23; SAB Sep 1913; SAB Oct 1924:11; SAB Aug 1925 17; SAB Sep 1925; Stucke exhib Cat (RAU) Nov 1977)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.