STUCKE and HARRISONEstablished: 1897
The partnership between WH STUCKE and JE HARRISON in Bloemfontein from 1897, Harrison having joined Stucke's Bloemfontein office about 1894. Harrison ran the Bloemfontein office as Stucke & Harrison while Stucke ran the Johannesburg branch and head office from 1894. It seems that Harrison was responsible for the design of a number of buildings in Bloemfontein as Stucke & Harrison until about 1908. There was a break in the work of the practice for the period of the Anglo-Boer War. Although Harrison returned to Bloemfontein after the war, he left it and the partnership around 1908, returning to the partnership in 1910. The firm won the competition (1912) for the Great Synagogue in Wolmarans Street in Johannesburg but the commission went to Theo Schaerer who came third. After Stucke's death in 1931 Harrison continued the practice, admitting DIH SMAIL (cf STUCKE, HARRISON & SMAIL) into partnership in 1937. Harrison's son, GM HARRISON, was later admitted into the firm.
(Schoeman 1982, 1985; Stucke exhib cat (RAU) 1977; Van der Waal 1987; UNSAL)
Submitted and entry for the Competition for the new Prime Minister's Residence - unplaced.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.