WALGATE and ELSWORTHEstablished: 1920
List of Structures
The partnership in Cape Town between CP WALGATE and LA ELSWORTH from 1920. The main work of the partnership was the execution of the main buildings of the University of Cape Town from 1920. In 1926 they won the competition for the Bethlehem Town Hall and the competition for the Knysna War Memorial (1926). The Architect, Builder and Engineer (Apr 1926:21) mentioned the partners' 'reverence for craft traditions, for the spirit of the countryside on which their buildings are placed, and for the styles in which the works designed are concerned underlie the work of these architects.' The partners exhibited work on a relatively regular basis at the annual SSouth African Academy [of Arts] exhibitions; among such drawings were those for the Brown and Annie Lawrence Homes at Pinelands in 1928. In 1941 they were awarded the Bronze Medal for the Stellenbosch Town Hall.
(SA Acad 1928:334; SAAR Apr 1934:108; SAAR Jun 1941:227; SESA 11:309)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.