WATERSON and VEALEEstablished: 1895?
FRIBA nomination papers are not precise about the date of his commencement of partnership with HG VEALE; saying that he was in partnership with Snell from 1892 and later with Veale. The African Architect (Sep 1911:78) gives 1895 as the date of commencement of the partnership but SNELL & WATERSEN (sic) are still listed as partners in the Longland's Johannesburg and South African Republic directory of 1897 and Waterson & Veale first listed together in the Longland's Johannesburg and South African Republic directory 1899. It seems that 1898 is a probable date for the start of the partnership. They were listed as practising in Durban from 1901 until 1906, refugees from the Anglo-Boer War. The partners were successful in several important architectural competitions, among these being the 1906 competition for the Johannesburg Central Fire Station, Von Brandis Square, built between 1908 and 1909 and possibly not to their design (cf Van Der Waal 1987:115). Benjamin (1979:64) states that the Murray Gordon Mansions were by John Waterson, not mentioning the partnership.
(Afr Archt Sep 1911:78; Afr Archt Dec 1912:96; Benjamin 1979; Brown 1969; Building Jun 1918:165-66; Hillebrand 1975; Longlands Jhb & SAR dir 1899; Men Tvl 1905; Restorica Jun 1977:41-2; SAWW 1908; Strutt 1963; UTD 1907, 1915)
Publ: An amazing report, Afr Archt Nov 1913:281-82
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.