EMLEY and WILLIAMSONEstablished: 1920
The partnership between Frank EMLEY and Frederick WILLIAMSON from around 1920 in Johannesburg. Emley was joined by Williamson on Emley's winning the competition for the design of the Main Building (or Central Block) for the University of the Witwatersrand, the first building on the new University campus. Emley's health suffered at the time the new Main Building was being designed and Williamson was responsible for much of the work. Nine of Emley and Williamson's buildings, designed mostly in the Edwardian/Beaux Arts neo-classical style, were displayed at the exhibition of Dominion and Colonial architecture held in London in 1926, among 305 South African exhibits. Emley & Williamson were elected by the Witwatersrand Master Builders Association to design the Association's Johannesburg headquarters. Their work was widely illustrated in contemporary periodicals and in subsequent publications as being representative of a particular Johannesburg style. The practice was continued by Williamson after Emley's retirement.
(Greig 1971; Herbert 1975; Musiker 1979; Pearse 1960; Van der Waal 1979; SAAR Dec 1927:91-5)
Submitted and entry for the Competition for the new Prime Minister's Residence - unplaced.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing EMLEY and WILLIAMSON
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 151|