ALBERT, George GeraldBorn: 1907 07 19
Died: 1994 05 01
Reg No: 659
Year registered: 1937
Practised in Johannesburg before the First World War and in East London after the war, Albert was born in Rondebosch and educated at Upington High School and at the De Villiers Graaff Institute in Villiersdorp. From 1928 until 1931 he was articled to FARROW & STOCKS in East London and in 1932 went to further his studies at the Architectural Association in London from where he received his diploma in 1935. During vacations he visited Athens, Rome and Amsterdam. On his return to South Africa he joined the firm of KALLENBACH, KENNEDY & FURNER in September 1936 as chief assistant, becoming an Associate member of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1937, his declaration paper being signed by E(lizabeth) COWIN (1937). He set up independent practice in Johannesburg in 1937 at Annan House where several of his early jobs were school buildings and hostels for the Transvaal Provincial Administration. He also designed several houses. He married in 1938 and enlisted for active service on the outbreak of the Second World War; his practice in Johannesburg was taken over by another architect. On his return in 1945 Albert recommenced practice on his own account in East London, after which date lies the major part of his career; he was associated with LANE & OSMOND around 1946. In 1959 he had his own practice listed as GG ALBERT & PARTNERS. He married Valerie Stidolph on 4 June 1938 and had four children.
ARIBA 1937; ISAA 1937. (Albert 1985; ISAA mem list; ARIBA nom papers (1937) 6238; SAB Feb 1937:39)(C.p.).
This record has been updated with information sent to us by Albert's grandson Neville Hawkes.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing ALBERT