Ivan MITFORD-BARBERTON: Artist - sculptured bronze panels
Click to view large map
|See more photographs|
In April 1837, the trekker party led by Jakobus Uys was encamped just outside Grahamstown, en route into the interior. They were met by a group of British settlers from Grahamstown who presented a Dutch bible to them. The monument represents an oversized open bible, reputedly facing in the direction which the Voortrekkers departed, and marks the spot where this exchange took place.
Unveiled by the State President C R Swart 17 December 1962.
(William MARTINSON. May 2012)
2018: Three of the bronze plaques on the Bible Monument were stolen in 2017. Only the plaque with Afrikaans text remained and that has since been removed for safekeeping. Rev. Strauss de Jager and the Rapportryers are in the process of replacing the bronze plaques with ones made of cut stone.
(Fleur Way-Jones, Albany Museum, Grahamstown.)