Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Round House, The
Cape Town, Western Cape

Date:c1817
Type:Restaurant
Status:Adaptive re-use

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°56'36.91" S 18°23'05.60" E Alt: 121m

The site originally had the remains of a circular fort when acquired by Lord Charles Somerset, then Governor of the Cape, who converted it into a hunting lodge in the popular Regency Style of its day. Since then a deep verandah has been added to the seaward side and it serves as a restaurant.

These notes were last edited on 2020 04 28


Writings about this entry

De Beer, Mona. 1987. Lion Mountain, The : and the story of Bantry Bay, Clifton and Camps Bay on the Atlantic Coast of the Cape Peninsula. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 43, 50, 51, 68, 89-99, 119, 126
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 91
Lewcock, Ronald. 1963. Early Nineteenth Century Architecture in South Africa : a study of the interaction of two cultures, 1795-1837. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 121, 124-125