Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Suspension Bridge
Oudtshoorn, Western Cape

HITCHERS AND BOOTH: Engineer

Date:1914
Type:Bridge
Status:Extant

 


Click to view large map

Coordinates:
33°35'16.80" S 22°12'02.07" E Alt: 315m

See more photographs

Transcription of the English section of the information board:

SUSPENSION - BRIDGE: OUDTSHOORN

THE TOWN OF OUDTSHOORN ORIGINATES FROM THE
HARTEBEESRIVER FARM. THE TOWN WAS GIVEN THE NAME
OUDTSHOORN DURING 1843. NAMED AFTER BARON PIETER
VAN REEDE VAN OUDTSHOORN WHO WAS APPOINTED AS
GOVERNOR OF THE CAPE IN 1772.

OUDTSHOORN DEVELOPED ON EITHER SIDES OF THE
GROBBELAARS RIVER (NAMED AFTER KLAAS GROBBELAAR
TO WHOM THE FARM "DE CANGO AAN DE DOORN RIVER"
WAS ALLOCATED DURING 1760). DURING RAINY SEASONS
THIS RIVER WAS A ROARING STREAM WHICH CARRIED
EVERYTHING WITH IT. THE RESIDENTS ENDURED THIS
INCONVENIENCE FOR YEARS UNTIL THE TOWN COUNCIL
ULTIMATELY APPROVED THE CONSTRUCTION OF A
SUSPENSION-BRIDGE AT CHURCH STREET OPPOSITE THE
CENTRE OF TOWN IN 1913. THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE
SUSPENSION-BRIDGE WAS COMPLETED DURING 1914.

THIS SUSPENSION-BRIDGE IS ONE OF THE MOST ELEGANT OF
ITS TYPE IN SOUTH AFRICA. IT HAS A SINGLE SPAN OF 91
METERS WHICH HAS BEEN COMBINED AND ARCHED IN THE
MIDDLE. THE 9 METER HIGH TOWERS ON BOTH SIDES ARE
OF LATTICED STEEL.

THIS SUSPENSION-BRIDGE WAS DECLARED A NATIONAL
MONUMENT BY THE NATIONAL MONUMENTS COUNCIL
DURING 1964.

CONSULTING ENGINEERS:
HITCHERS AND BOOTH
CIVIL CONSULTING ENGINEERS
28 VICTORIA STREET
LONDON S.W.

BUILDERS:
EDWARD ROWLAY AND SONS (A SCOTISH FIRM)
LONDON

LOCAL CONTRACTOR:
H HELFRITZ

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.