Batting Bridge - Second
MURRAY and STEWART: Contractor
Click to view map
Batting Bridge was named after Jack G Batting (1909 -1951) a director of the East London North Township (Beaconhurst Estate). The existing structure is the second bridge to be erected at this site and commenced with construction in 1971 and was formally opened to traffic on 31 August 1973. The first bridge was severely damaged in the floods of 1970.
(Information extracted from manuscript copy of Lexicon of People and Places in the Eastern Cape, compiled by Carl Vernon - submitted by William MARTINSON)