House Lind - Gottland House
Click to view large map
2015: Now an old age home.
In 1902 Mr M.C. Lind (1848 - 1912), a local attorney, asked Mr Charles BULLOCK to design a manor house on plot nr 105 diagonally opposite the St Jude's Anglican Church in Baron van Reede Street. The building was built in the Art Nouveau style by the ROGERS BROS of local sandstone and bricks with abundant cast-iron fittings to the verandah iron pillars and to the stoep railings of the wooden stoep.
A feature of the front elevation is the Art Nouveau stained-glass patterns of the French lily and irises fitted into the sides of the front entrance door, the fan lights and the windows. The front roof line at the one end is broken by an octagonal tower above an octagonal room and on the other side by a gable with woodwork in the Tudor-bethan style. The same feature appears on the one side elevation.
The diningroom, sittingroom, main bedroom and corridor ceilings, cornices and dados are of decorated geometrically pressed papier mache designs. The cast-iron fireplaces are decorated with Art Nouveau tiles and brass fittings. At present (2013) the building is a retirement home.
Writings about this entry