Click to view large map
At about the same time as it was erecting the Early Morning Market, the Council began to reconsider the location of the Borough Market in the heart of the city. Over time its facilities in Pine Street had become congested, and the availability of a railway siding at Berea Road Station had made the relocation of some of its retail functions to Warwick Street pre-eminently suitable. As a result, on 1 October 1935, a new Bulk Sales Hall was opened on a site immediately south of the Early Morning Market. Better known as the English Market, it dealt in types of bagged produce, fodder and poultry. This fine brick building stood in stark contrast to the Early Morning Market, which was housed in a rudimentary, open-sided structure with concrete tables and few amenities. Access to the area was originally limited to a bridge which crossed over the railway line at Theatre Road, and was probably built before 1910, but this was improved in about 1931 with the construction a road bridge over the railway line at Victoria Street, and the development of a boulevard in 1933 linking Warwick to Old Dutch Road. (South African History Online: Accessed 2015 09 18)
(Submitted by William MARTINSON)
Any more information about this building would be greatly appreciated.