Muizenberg Bathing Pavilion - First
William John DELBRIDGE: Architect 1911
Also known as the Muizenberg Beach Pavilion.
The first pavilion was a wooden structure, built by the Kalk Bay-Muizenberg Municipality in 1910. The plans had been drawn up by the municipal engineer D P Howells, who also supervised the construction.
The pavilion soon proved to be too small, and the architect William John Delbridge was asked to draw up a two-thirds extension to the structure. The extension included a large tearoom with an attractive lean-to verandah, additional private dressing cubicles and fresh-water showers. The extended pavilion was opened by the Administrator of the Cape, Sir Frederic de Waal, on 16 December 1911. It was described in The South African Railway Holiday Brochure of 1914 as ‘providing every comfort and convenience for up to 3000 bathers a day’.
This pavilion was replaced by the second pavilion in 1928.
Extracted from The Early Architects of Cape Town by Michael Walker, pp 119-120.
Submitted by Lila Komnick.
These notes were last edited on 2020 10 21
Writings about this entry