People:William Henry MILES: Architect
Arthur Shaw BUTTERWORTH: Architect
33°57'46.68" S 25°37'24.50" E
In his design WH MILES incorporated the original plan by Sir Wolfe-Barry of London. It was opened on 10 December 1885 by the Governor, Sir Hercules Robinson as an auction premises and storage facility for the feather industry.
Extensions were done in 1908 which provided the Baarkens Street elevation to the Feathermarket Hall. It was known as the Market Buildings and provided additional market space and office accommodation. The work was by the municipal engineer Arthur Shaw BUTTERWORTH.
For a time the Market Buildings were taken over by the city council and used as additional offices, in support of the city hall, located diagonally opposite.
In 1993 the muncipal architects refurbished the buildings (both the orginal and the extension) into the Feathermarket Centre. As part of these works the main entrance to the complex was relocated to be via the Market Buildings and the historic entrance off Castle Hill sadly closed.
(Gerald Humphrey 2016)
Writings about this entry
Contact Artefacts please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.