St Andrew's College
Classroom block, boarding hostels and gym, chapel in gothic revival style (unfinished) (SAAE&S Jnl Oct 1905:8; Bodill 1983:96; FRIBA nom papers 1898)
Here we have a big public school, where some of the best brains in South Africa have been trained. Throughout the Cape Colony, the subject of Education has received the most carefully though-out attention; and it is to this fact, the general all-round intelligence of its people can be largely attributed. This College was founded in 1855, with a separate School Department, which is, however, under the charge of the same Head Master. In the College Department there are Lecturers in Mathematics and Physical Science, Classics and English, Modern languages, &c. In the School Department the Head Master is supported by no less than six Assistant Masters for the various branches of study.
Ref: Photographs of South Africa comprising Representative Views etc.; The South African Photo-Publishing Company, Cape Town, 1894: Pg 75.
[Submitted by William MARTINSON]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry