Click to view large map
(SAB Jun 1937:64; SAB Aug 1937:65; SA Archt Jul 1939:119)
The building was slightly altered as early as the 1960s in that the first floor restaurant over the canopy was removed and the fins, which were taller and had flagpoles attached to the top, were shortened and the capping slab added.
The building was one of very few to have used glazed ceramic tiles as a decorative finish, an element that was used for decoration a great deal in Art Deco buildings especially in Britain.
(Gerald Humphrey June 2014)
These notes were last edited on 2020 03 10
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.