Built in 1850’s or 1860’s, this is one of the older buildings in Lydenburg. H.T. Buhrmann, who was the assistant magistrate in Lydenburg’s first years, stood in for Jacob de Clerq, the first magistrate, when he was on leave.
Mr. Frans du Toit, well known for making gravestones, also lived here for some years. Today (2010) the fourth generation of his family lives here again, and has started to rejuvenate the old farm yard activities, such as making soap and whips.
[Information supplied by the Lydenburg Museum]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.