Share this record

Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

War Memorial 1914-1918
Stutterheim, Eastern Cape

CORDEAUX and FARROW: Architect

Date:1922
Type:Memorial
Status:Extant


Click for larger map

32°33'58.06" S 27°24'43.37" E
Click on map for Google Maps

See more photographs

Address: Stutterheim Country Club

Relocated to the Stutterheim Country Club from its original site in the CBD, cor Hill & Maclean Streets.

Stutterheim war memorial, a striking piece of work, was unveiled on Friday, October 6, 1922, by the Hon. the Minister for Defence, Colonel Mentz. Situated in the Market Square, the monument consists of a particularly fine bronze statue on a stone pedestal. The statue is the work of a London sculptor, Mr A Stanley Young, R.B.S, and represents in a very lifelike fashion, a "Springbok soldier in full marching order". The statue is considered to be one of the finest models of a soldier ever executed. The pedestal and surround are of tooled Cathcart stone. On a bronze tablet affixed to the pedestal is inscribed the names of the fallen. The architects for the memorial were Messrs Cordeaux and Farrow of East London; the foundry work in connection with the statue and tablet was done by Messrs. J. W. Singer and Sons, Frome, Somerset, while the contractor for the monument was Mr. W. Seiler, of Cathcart.

Contemporary description (unknown source and date - probably mid October 1922), provided by John Emery, past Chairman of the Stutterheim Historical Society.

The statue was cast in Frome, England by JW Singer & Sons.

[William MARTINSON, October 2010]