Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

University of Pretoria, Botany Building
Pretoria, Gauteng

MOERDYK and WATSON: Architect 1940
J MASUREIK: Architect 1959

Date:1940 : 1959
Type:University
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
25°45'06.17" S 28°13'46.49" E Alt: 1367m

This attractive face brick building with elements of Dutch Brick Modernism was designed by architects Gerhard Moerdyk and H Watson in conjunction with Prof B Elbrecht of the Department of Botany. The cornerstone was laid on 10 April 1940 and construction was finished later that same year. Increasing student numbers made it necessary for the building to be extended in 1959 and resulted in an additional wing designed by J Mazureik. The building accommodates the Plant Science Department. The Manie van der Schiff Botanical Garden surrounds the building. The garden is approximately three and a half hectare in extent and contains more than 3 000 plant species, including a complete African cycad collection. A large greenhouse was added in 1956.

(Campus Building Guide, accessed 2020 06 10)

These notes were last edited on 2020 06 11