Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

University of Pretoria, Communication Pathology Building
Pretoria, Gauteng

Erwin Walter FLEISCHMANN: Design Architect
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT: Architect

Date:1930
Type:University
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
25°45'22.39" S 28°13'49.15" E

The Meteorological Building, now the Communication Pathology Building, by the DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS who commissioned German immigrant W H FLEISCHMANN in the 1930s to design a building to house the Weather Bureau. The design of the building reflects a strong international influence and elements of the German Bauhaus style, the 'taut skin' aesthetic reinforced by windows placed on the outer surface of the building, although tempered by the mandatory PWD red Kirkness Bricks and done in English bond and proud pointing. The machine aesthetic takes its idiom from marine and naval architecture, with porthole windows and deck-like railings at parapet level. In 1963 the government donated the building to the University and in 1965 it became the home of the Department of Communication Pathology. The building also houses the Centre for Augmentative and Alternative Communication.

View a 3D model by Loen Pienaar.