Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

University of Pretoria, Zoology Building
Pretoria, Gauteng

MOERDYK and WATSON: Architect

Date:1924
Type:University
Style:Neo-Renaissance
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
25°45'13.71" S 28°13'51.30" E Alt: 1376m

This simple stripped clasicial revival building is similar in design to the Old Chemistry building [now partially demolished]. In 1920 the College Council obtained £40 000 from the government to build a second Mathematics and Science building. However the building never materialised and funding had to be sourced again. When the College Council approached the government a second time, money was scarce and was only made available when the building neared completion in 1924. Through the years, several extensions were added, but the architects Gerhard Moerdyk and H Watson made sure they conformed to the original style. The last extension in 1957 to the west of the building later became a separate building and is currently the Geography building. The original building now houses the Department of Zoology and Entomology. (Campus Building Guide pg. 40)

These notes were last edited on 2021 07 29