University of the Witwatersrand, John Moffat Building
STUDIO SEVEN: Architect
Click to view large map
In 1959 the Faculty of Architecture and the Department of Fine Arts had moved to a home of their own on the campus, a new building designed by Professor J Fassler in association with W D HOWIE, G HERBERT, J MORGENSTERN, J SHUNN and U TOMASELLI, all of whom at the time were members of the staff of the Department of Architecture. This was the first of the buildings to be completed in the University's post-war building programme and it was named and is known as the John Moffat Building, in tribute to Mr John Abram MOFFAT, a Johannesburg architect who died in 1941, having bequeathed some £ 100,000 which was to be paid to the University fifteen years after his death on condition that the fund be used for some such purpose as a building. At the same time the main lecture theater in this building was named the Dorothy Susskind Auditorium in appreciation of Mrs Susskind's work as chairperson of the University Towns Festival held on the campus in 1955, in raising some £93,000 for the University. The building was a notable addition to the University’s facilities for teaching and study, comparable environmentally as well as architecturally to buildings of a similar nature and purpose at universities elsewhere throughout the western world, a feature of the facilities being the divisional library serving not only the Faculty of Architecture and the Department of Fine Arts but also the University as a whole. [Extracted from Mont BRYER: University of the Witwatersrand School of Architecture (Wits school).
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry