Bathurst, Eastern Cape

View photos of this town

Click for larger map
Click on map for larger image

The town was founded in 1820 and named after Lord Bathurst, Secretary of State for the Colonies, by the Governor of the Cape, Sir Rufane Donkin.

List of references:

Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 324-325
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 76-78
Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pp 147-151
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 109
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 9

List of buildings:

Bailey's Beacon and 1820 Toposcope: 1859.
Barrow Cottage: 1837.
Barville Park: c1835. district
Bleak House: c1820.
Bradshaw's Mill: 1821.
Clumber Methodist Church: 1867. district
Clumber Methodist Church School: 1837. district
Cuylerville Church: 1825 : 1831 : 1939. district
Drostdy: 1820.
Fossil Exposure: n.d..
Fraser's Camp Signal Tower: 1835. district
Lombard's Post: 1812. district
Methodist Church, cemetery and ringwall: 1832.
Morley House: 1828.
Old Powder Magazine (Star Fort complex): 1821.
Pig and Whistle Hotel: 1821.
Railway Institute Building: 1903.
Rokeby Park Methodist Church: 1884. district
St John's Anglican Church: 1832.