Hermanus, Western Cape

Founded: 1855

Named after Hermanus Pieters, teacher and shepherd.

 


Click to view large map

Originally called Hermanuspietersfontein.

List of references:

Coyne, Patrick. 2010. A guide to South Africa's mountain passes and poorts. Westville: Osborne Porter Literary Services. pp 55, 68, 69
Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pp 451
Fransen, Hans. 2006. Old towns and villages of the Cape. A survey of the origin and development of towns, villages and hamlets at the Cape of Good Hope. With particular reference to their physical planning and historical landscape. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball. pp 284-288
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pp 112-113

List of structures:

Fishermen's Harbour: 1850s.
Hermanus Community Day Centre: n.d.. Zwelihle,
Hermanus Private School, primary, kindergarten & high schools: 1910-65.
Holiday House: 1953.
House EG Westcott: 1939.
House HW Brunton: 1928.
House Swanepoel: 1990.
Ismail and Miriam Ebrahim Islamic Centre: n.d..
Klein Rivier Retreat: 1996.
Marine Hotel: n.d. : 1924.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk: 1926.
Seaside houses and other early structures: n.d..
St Peter's Church: 1933.
Voëlklip House: 2009.
War Memorial - WWI and WWII: n.d..