REID and DELBRIDGEEstablished:
The partnership between AH REID, W REID and WJ DELBRIDGE in Cape Town and Johannesburg from about 1918 until 1923. Delbridge was in Cape Town; the partners submitted an entry for the Standard Bank competition, Eloff St, Johannesburg and for the Benoni Town Hall in 1918; they won the competitions for the new Medical School building in Johannesburg in 1919 and for the Polana Hotel, Lourenco Marques (Maputu) in Portuguese East Africa in the same year. The firm claimed to be the first to use a four-wayflat slab system of reinforced concrete construction 'in the Union and probably in the British Empire', used in a building for EK Green & Co in their bottling and bottle-washing department (1917) for which E Austin COOKE acted as surveyor and resident inspector. In 1923 the partnership changed its name to REID, DELBRIDGE & FALLON, when WAR FALLON joined the office.
(AB&E Aug 1920:2, 9; AB&E Oct 1926:2; Building Nov 1918:147; Building Dec 1918:223-33; Building Mar 1919:245; Building Dec 1919:323-4; SAB Nov 1923:37)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Calvary War Memorial: c1921. Claremont, Cape Town, Western Cape - Architect |
|EK Green & Co Bottle-washing dept: 1917. Cape Town, Western Cape - Architect |
|House Mrs JG Beatty: 1915. Parktown, Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Medical School: 1919. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|SA Party Bldg: 1920. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
|Standard Bank, (project not carried out): 1918. Johannesburg, Gauteng - Architect |
Books citing REID and DELBRIDGE
|Walker, Michael. 2010. A Statement In Stone. Cape Town: Privately published by Michael Walker. pp 53-54|