SMITH, Harold BayldonBorn: 1878 11 12
Died: 1962 12 15
Year registered: 1927
ARIBA Port Elizabeth 1903
The second son of GW SMITH, HB Smith registered as a probationer of the RIBA in Glasgow in 1896 and as a student of the RIBA in London in 1902, thus receiving his training in Britain. By 1903 he had returned to Port Elizabeth where he was elected an Associate member of the RIBA in 1903. At about this time he probably joined his father's firm. According to NC Smith, HB Smith's son, it was when HB joined the firm that the name changed to SMITH, SONS & DEWAR. In addition to his architectural training, HB was also a registered Government Surveyor and in this capacity laid out a large section of narrow-gauge railway linking Port Elizabeth with Avontuur at the head of Lange Kloof. HB is particularly remembered in Port Elizabeth for his purchase and preservation of No 7 Castle Hill in Port Elizabeth, in danger of demolition when he bought it in 1937. The original rectory for St Mary's Collegiate Church, the building is currently a good example of a house museum.
(Smith 1985; ISAA mem list; SAB Nov 1924:33)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|House HB Smith: c1912. Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth), Eastern Cape - Architect |
Books citing SMITH