Trained as a quantity surveyor. He was presumably born in England where he was educated in Maidenhead and at Westminster (School?). He was first recorded in South Africa as serving in the Anglo-Boer War. After the war he remained in the country and was employed by HAWKE & McKINLAY, supervising the erection of the Law Courts in Bloemfontein (1906-1910). He later supervised the erection of the Johannesburg City Hall for HAWKE & McKINLAY (1910-1914). In 1913 McKINLAY & WHITE were shortlisted in a competition to design the National Women's Monument (Vrouemonument) in Bloemfontein. During the First World War he enlisted and was commissioned as a lieutenant in the ROYAL ENGINEERS. He was given a permanent Regimental commission an attained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and retired from the Regimental Reserve of officers in about 1928. After the war he returned to practice as a quantity surveyor and in 1919 was elected President of the South African Institute of Quantity Surveyors. By 1928 he was working in Cape Town and by 1929/1930 he was recorded as a retired member of the Institute of South African Architects, living in Salisbury (Harare), Rhodesia (Zimbabwe); by 1948 he was living at The Aloes, Uvongo Beach in Natal.
MC; ISAA 1928. (A&B Mar 1918:238; Afr Archt Sep 1913:260; ISAA mem list; ISAA Ybk 1929-30; Jnl ATA Feb 1916:10)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.