He was articled to Prescott & Davies in Liverpool the office of Bradshaw, Gass & Hope in Bolton from 1904, where he continued to work after completing his articles, remaining with them for five years. He then transferred as assistant to Philip Lockwood, working in his Chester office and later moving in 1915 to Bradstow, Gass & Hope in Bolton, working as an assistant. He enlisted in 1915 and served with the Artist Rifles, 28th London Regiment but was interned in 1917 in a prisoner of war camp in Germany. On release after the war he joined the Imperial War Graves Commission in Vicenza and travelled in Italy in 1919. He returned to study in London where in 1920 he studied at the first Atelier of Architecture, Bedford Square (the atelier, which lasted for about two years, was instituted at the Architectural Association on the closure of the evening school in 1920). At about the same time he was working as an assistant architect to Lord Leverhulme in London. In that same year he won the Victory Scholarship Architectural Competition and was awarded the Gold Medal. In 1922 he was admitted ARIBA, having transferred to the office of Thomas Mawson & Sons. From September of that year he was on the staff of Lord Leverhulme but in 1923 he emigrated to Shanghai to join the practice of Atkinson & Dallas, and was assistant to the Shanghai Land Investment from 1926 to about 1930, in which year he was elected a Fellow of the RIBA and became chief architect. He remained in Shanghai with his wife and family until the Japanese-Chinese conflict of 1937 when he moved to South Africa. There he worked briefly in Johannesburg in the architectural department of the New Consolidated Gold Fields. One Buchanan of Waygood-Otis in Cape Town, by way of a letter of introduction to the chief architect of the PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT, JS CLELAND, dated September 1938, (Cleland papers) wrote: 'He has money ... he is a really clever artist'. Around 1938/1939 he left to work in Cape Town where he was supervising (executant) architect in about 1939 for Louis BLANC on Stuttaford's Building in Cape Town. In 1941 he became estate manager for the University of Cape Town. He became a Life Member of the Cape Provincial Institute of Architects.
There is also a listing of this practitioner on the Dictionary of Scottish Architects from which this entry has been extended.
(FRIBA 1930; ISAA 1938; Cleland Papers, HSRC; FRIBA nom papers 1930 (2841); ISAA mem list)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Stuttaford's main building: 1938. Cape Town, Western Cape - Project Architect |
Books citing FRASER