Click to view map
In March 1921 work began on the river diversion. On the 24th May 1921 the river was finally diverted and by 29th July 1921 the first foundation concrete was placed. By 7th September 1921 the wall was 2m above river bed. The floods of 1922/23 were impounded. In April 1923 the wall proper was completed and all that remained was the finishing off of the parapets and the crest road. In September 1923 the road across the wall was officially opened.
(The Damming of The Poort. 1991. PA Nightingale)
For a history of the building of the dam see: Wikipedia
See also Hartebeestpoort Dam Triumphal Arch
Additional information for this entry was supplied by Konrad Voges, August 2018.
Writings about this entry