THE GUN WAS PRIVATELY
OWNED BY MAJOR-GENERAL
FREDERICK MARON BARDLEY-
WILMOT OF THE ROYAL
ARTILLERY. IT WAS FIRST
USED ON THE CAPE FRONTIER
IN THE WAR OF THE AXE
(1846-1847). MAJOR-GENERAL
BARDLEY-WILMOT USED IT AGAIN
DURING THE 1850-1853
FRONTIER WAR, IN WHICH HE WAS
KILLED IN THE FISH RIVER BUSH ON
1 JANUARY 1852. THE GUN WAS
THEN KEPT AT THE ORDNANCE
STORE IN KING WILLIAM'S TOWN
UNTIL THE WAR OF 1877-1878,
WHEN IT WAS USED AGAIN BY THE
GRAHAMSTOWN HORSE ARTILLERY
UNDER LIEUTENANT HENRY WELLS.