Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk
Johannes Nicolaas COMBRINK: Contractor 1902
Johannes Anthonie SMITH: Architect 1952
Click to view map
Albertinia, in the magisterial district of Riversdale, was founded on the farm Grootfontein in 1900 and named after Rev JR Albertyn who was the pastor of Riversdale from 1883 to 1892. Municipal status was awarded in 1920. The Reverend Albertyn fought for the establishment of their own congregation in the eastern part of the district. On 10 September 1898 the church council of Riversdale decided to buy the farm Grootfontein from the widow Anna Sophia Lourens (née Oosthuizen). The farm was divided into erven, the first of which was sold the following year. From October 1899 church worshipers congregated in the ‘emergency church’ held in a wagon house at Grootfontein.
After a parsonage was taken into use in 1900, the planning of the church building began. The foundations were laid to the plans of Reynolds and Warren (of whom little is known) in 1901, but due to the high tender prices and the uncertainties during the Anglo-Boer War, construction was temporarily discontinued. On 20 September 1902 new plans for a church building were submitted and the construction began. The cornerstone was laid on 26 September 1902, and the church building was inaugurated on 17 June 1904. In the municipal publication, [Eeufeeskomitee. 2004], one Mr WARREN of the firm, REYNOLDS AND WARREN of Oudtshoorn is cited as the architect. The building contractor was Johannes Nicolaas COMBRINK of Prince Albert. The architect of the Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk of De Rust, which was completed earlier, was, however, George WALLIS (1824-1908), who died in Oudshoorn. The revised plans for Albertinia church could therefore have been by his hand, or otherwise inspired by the design of his newly built church at De Rust.
In the 1930s the building became too small for the congregation and in 1948 it was decided to build a new church. However, the congregation decided that the existing building should be conserved and enlarged. The architect was J Anthonie SMITH and the new building was inaugurated in July 1952.
Translated from an extract out of:
Writings about this entry