Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk
Philadelphia, Western Cape

Date:1858-1864 : 1911
Type:Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Church
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°40'00.57" S 18°34'51.21" E Alt: 81m

The cornerstone was laid on 31 October 1858 by ds. J.J. Beck of Durbanville and the nave was consecrated in 1864. In 1911 it was given a cruciform plan. The church retains much of the original furniture, the pulpit being the work of Wynand LOUW.

Visit Wikipedia for more information about the congregation.


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 319
Hoevers, Jan. 2012. Geskiedkundige kerke : 'n Gids tot 50 tradisionele kerke. Pretoria: Kontak-uitgewers. pg 81-82
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pg 105
Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2015. Church tourism in South Africa : a travel odyssey. South Africa: Self-published by Philippe Menache and Darryl Earl David. pg 130
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 133