Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Petrus Lafras Uys Memorial
Utrecht, KwaZulu-Natal

Date:1881 : 1988


Click to view map

27°39'18.52" S 30°19'11.84" E Alt: 1212m

The monument was erected in 1881 by the men and officers of Col. Evelyn Wood’s Column with whom Uys had served during the Zulu War of 1879.

Uys was buried on his farm Wydgelegen, in 1988 he was exhumed and re-interred here.

Completion of the monument announced in the weekly journal The Lantern, 21 August 1880, p2.
Scanned and submitted by Lila Komnick.

The Uys monument is now completed, and ready for transmission to Utrecht, where it will be placed in position. It consists of a base of three steps, on which will be placed an elaborately-carved pedestal, with massive cornices and capital, the whole surmounted by an obelisk about twelve feet in height, and thus the full structure will be about twenty feet high when placed in situ. Two of the panels are plain, but on the other two is engraved the inscription, in English and Dutch. The monument is being erected, as the inscription explains, "to the memory of Petrus Lafras Uys, Commandant of the Burgher Force, who fell at Hlobani, Zululand, on the 28th March, 1879, by his fellow-burghers of Utrecht and the officers and men that composed the ever-glorious Flying Column under General Wood."