Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk
Click to view map
The foundation stone for the first church was laid by Sir John Truter in 1831 and inaugurated in 1832. In 1842 the building was given two wings giving it a cruciform shape. In 1897-1898 the church was completely renovated and extended to cater for the growing congregation. In order to raise the necessary funds the girls school nearby, which the congregation owned, was sold. The new building cost £4 000. The governor of the Cape Colony at the time, Sir Alfred Milner was present at the inauguration. The columns supporting the central portion of the roof were donated by CJ RHODES, a personal friend of the then Reverend Hofmeyr, the local church minister.
These notes were last edited on 2020 08 18
Writings about this entry