Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Fyfe's Pharmacy
Knysna, Western Cape

SIMPSON and BRIDGMAN: Architect

Date:1923
Type:Pharmacy
Status:Extant

Transcript of the Knysna Historical Society plaque:

Fyfe's Pharmacy
The building stands on land originally bought in 1883 by Thomas Horn
of the Royal hotel from the Anglican Church, which was then acquired in
1884 by Hendrik Carolus Stroebel. George W. Brent Steytler, Knysna's first
Town Clerk from 1882 to 1914, lived in the adjacent home, named "Brent
House". In 1921 John F.Y. Stalker bought the property and built the
pharmacy shop in 1923, designed by Simpson & Bridgman of Oudtshoorn.
In 1924, shortly after completion, chemist P.L. Looch moved in with his
business, the "Knysna Pharmacy". In 1927 Hugh McGregor Fyfe acquired
the pharmacy and was proprietor until the late 1940's. The property was
bought by Pieter van Reenen, saw-millers and furniture manufacturers
in 1944 and subsequently by Philip Finkelstein in 1958.
The pharmacy traded as Fyfe's into the early 1990's.