Click to view map
Market House, Knysna Market Hall
A decision by the Municipal Council to proceed with the building of a Market House was taken in October 1906. At this time £425 was available from the sale of commonage land to the Cape Colonial Government. Certain drawings were prepared and in July 1907 tenders were called for, closing date 13 August 1907. Paulus Hofman had heard about the 1907 tender enquiry and approached the Council with a ‘revised’ proposal. He had earlier prepared drawings for a Music Hall but could not raise the funds needed to build this from private subscription but thought that the design would essentially meet the needs of Knysna. His final design included a large hall with stage, rooms for offices, refreshment room, and toilets.
In October 1907 tenders were called for again, re-advertised in the George & Knysna Herald in November 1907, closing 10 December 1907. The tender submitted by builder George Tweedy was accepted.
New Municipal Offices were built in front of the Town Hall in 1963.
(Philip Caveney, 2020 'The Knysna Town Hall, an early Knysna conspiracy?'. Knysna: Knysna Historical Society).
These notes were last edited on 2021 06 23