|Date:||1680 : 1807-1814 : 1926 : 1961-1964|
|Style:||Mannered Neo Classical|
Click to view map
33°55'29.89" S 18°25'13.19" E
This was originally the slave lodge founded by Simon van der Stel. It was later remodeled by THIBAULT in 1814 to become the Supreme Court. The sculptor was Anton ANREITH and the contractor was Herman SCHUTTE. In 1926 the Adderley Street facade was cut back 13,4m by Frederick McIntosh GLENNIE, the new facade was apparently a meticulous copy of the THIBAULT one but his beautiful vestibule and a number of rooms, including the library of the old legislative council, disappeared. Further remodeling took place by Magda SAUER to turn it into a Cultural Historical and Africana Museum with very well executed, simple and evocative interiors. In 1966 the new museum was opened as the South African Museum : Cultural History but in 1967 was called the South African Cultural History Museum. It is now the Iziko Museum Slave Lodge.
Poster inside lobby:
After the British Occupation
of the Cape and the 1807 abolition
of the Slave Trade in the
British Empire, this building
became Government Offices
and later the first Supreme Court.
IN THE PROCESS THE
LODGE WAS STRIPPED OF
ITS SLAVE HISTORY.
Poster inside lobby:
After the abolition of the slave trade in 1807,
there were two slave rebellions at the Cape, in
1808 and 1825.
Slaves living at the Cape were emancipated
on 1 December 1834.
BUT THEY WERE NOT FREED.
Until 1838 they were apprenticed
to their former owners without pay.
Poster inside lobby:
In 1998 this building was
renamed the Slave Lodge.
is a project that tells of the long
history of slavery in South Africa
and raised awareness of
Tombstone of Jane and Maria Bowler:
TO THE MEMORY
WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE
12TH SEPTEMBER 1849
AGED 41 YEARS
WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE
MARCH 2 1881
Plaque on the Sentry Box:
SENTRY BOX FROM FORT KNOKKE
THE SMALL FORT WAS BUILT IN 1744 NEAR THE SITE OF THE PRESENT
WOODSTOCK STATION AS PART OF THE FORTIFICATION OF THE CAPE
COASTLINE. THE SENTRY BOX WAS MOVED TO THE SOUTH AFRICAN
MUSEUM IN 1950, AND RE-ERECTED ON THIS SITE IN NOVEMBER 1986.
WAGHUISIE VAN FORT KNOKKE
DIE FORTJIE IS IN 1744 NABY DIE HUIDIGE WOODSTOCK-STASIE
OPGERIG AS DEEL VAN DIE FORTIFIKASIE VAN DIE KAAPSE KUSLYN.
DIE WAGHUISIE IS IN 1950 NA DIE SUID-AFRIKAANSE MUSEUM
VERSKUIF, EN IN NOVENBER 1986 HIER OPGERIG.
Plaque for Maria de la Queillerie:
GRAFSTEEN VAN MARIA DE LA QUEILLERIE, EGGENOTE VAN JAN
VAN RIEBEECK. IN 1664 IS SY IN DIE V.O.C. NEDERSETTING TE
MALAKKA OORLEDE EN IN DIE PORTUGESE KERK VAN DIE
MARIA-BOODSKAP ALDAAR BEGRAWE.
HIERDIE GRAFSTEEN IS IN 1916 DEUR DIE REGERING VAN
DIE DESTYDSE STRAITS SETTLEMENTS AAN DIE SUID-
AFRIKAANSE MUSEUM GESKENK
TOMBSTONE OF MARIA DE LA QUEILLERIE, WIFE OF JAN VAN
RIEBEECK. SHE DIED IN THE V.O.V. SETTLEMENT OF MALACCA
IN 1664 AND WAS BURIED IN THE PORTUGUESE CHURCH OF
OUR LADY ON THE ANNUNCIATION. THIS TOMBSTONE WAS
DONATED IN 1916 TO THE SOUTH AFRICAN MUSEUM BY THE
GOVERNMENT OF THE THEN STRAITS SETTLEMENT.
Plaque for Jan van Riebeeck:
GEREKONSTRUEERDE GRAFSTEEN VAN JAN VAN RIEBEECK, EERSTE
KOMMANDEUR VAN DIE V.O.C AAN DIE KAAP 1652-1662. HY IS
OP 18 JANUARIE 1677 IN BATAVIA OORLEDE EN IN DIE
PORTUGESE KERK ALDAAR BEGRAWE. DIE KERK ASOOK VAN
RIEBEECK SE GRAFSTEEN, IS IN 1808 VERNIETIG. IN 1914 EN
1933 HET DIE KONINKLIKE BATAAFSE VERENIGING VIR KUNS
EN WETENSKAP FRAGMANTE VAN DIE GRAFSTEEN GEVIND EN
AAN DIE SUID-AFRIKAANSE MUSEUM OORHANDIG.
RECONSTRUCTED TOMBSTONE OF JAN VAN RIEBEECK 1652-1662
FIRST COMMANDER OF THE V.O.C. AT THE CAPE. HE DIED IN
BATAVIA ON 18TH JANUARY, 1677 AND WAS BURIED IN THE
PORTUGUESE CHURCH THERE. THIS CHURCH, AND WITH THE TOMB
STONE WAS DESTROYED IN 1808. FRAGMENTS OF THE TOMBSTONE WERE
FOUND IN 1914 AND 1933 AND DONATED TO THE SOUTH AFRICAN
MUSEUM BY THE ROYAL BATAVIAN SOCIETY OF ARTS AND SCIENCE.
Plaque for Joan Blessis:
TOMBSTONE OF JOAN BLESSIS, INDEPENDENT
FISCAL AT THE CAPE 1694-1711
THIS STONE WAS ORIGINALLY OVER THE CRYPT
OF JOAN BLESSIS IN THE OLD DUTCH REFORMED
CHURCH IN ADDERLEY STREET.
WHEN THE CHURCH WAS DEMOLISHED IN 1836 IT
WAS TRANSFERRED TO THE DUTCH REFORMED
CHURCHYARD IN SOMERSET ROAD FROM WHERE
IT WAS BROUGHT TO THE MUSEUM.
Wording on the gravestone of Thomas Charles John Bain:
THOMAS BAIN, C.E.
DIED AT WOODSIDE
AGED 64 YEARS.
FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH
HE RESTS FROM HIS LABOURS.
Wording on commemorative plaque for Thomas Charles John Bain:
GRAVESTONE OF THOMAS CHARLES JOHN BAIN
ENGINEER OF 23 MAJOR MOUNTAIN ROADS
IN THE FORMER CAPE COLONY
DONATED BY HIS DESCENDANTS IN 1984
GRAFSTEEN VAN THOMAS CHARLES JOHN BAIN
INGENIEUR VAN 23 BELANGRIKE BERGPASSE
IN DIE EERTYDSE KAAPKOLONIE
GESKENK DEUR SY AFSTAMMELINGE IN 1984
These notes were last edited on 2020 01 10
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Crump, Alan & Van Niekerk, Raymund. 1988. Public sculptures & reliefs Cape Town. Cape Town: Clifton Publications. pg 32|
|Fisher, Roger & Clarke, Nicholas. 2014. Architectural Guide : South Africa. Berlin: DOM Publishers. pg 24-25, 29|
|Geyser, O. 1988. The history of the Old Supreme Court Building. Johannesburg: Africana Press. pg 57-107|
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 92|
|Hartdegen, Paddy. 1988. Our building heritage : an illustrated history. South Africa: Ryll's Pub. Co. on behalf of the National Development Fund for the Building Industry. pg 33, 39|
|Luckhoff, Carl August in collaboration with Gohl, Colin and Versveld, Martin. 1951. Table Mountain : our national heritage after three hundred years. Cape Town: AA Balkema . pg 33 (ill)|
|Oberholster, JJ. 1972. The historical monuments of South Africa. Cape Town: Rembrandt Van Rijn Foundation for Culture at the request of the National Monuments Council. pg 10-11|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 19|
|Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 207 item 65.27|
|Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 75|
|Elsworth, LA Plate 19. Pediments to Old Supreme Court and Caledon Street Police Station (LA Elsworth Mens et Delt Jan 1928 [?]): in Pearse, Geoffrey Eastcott. 1957. Eighteenth century architecture in South Africa: pp 69|
|Schneewind, W Cultural History Museum, South African: in Potgieter, DJ (Editor-in-chief). 1971. Standard Encyclopaedia of South Africa [SESA] Volume 3 Cal-Dev: pp 524-526|