Mercantile Building - Clegg House
Click to view map
(AB&E Feb 1934:29; SAB Feb 1934:47; SAB Apr 1934: xxxix)
THE MERCANTILE Building for the South African Townships M. & F. Corporation Ltd. has been erected at the corner of Commissioner and Simmonds Street.
It is a building of basement and ten storeys, with [staff] quarters and lift motor-room on the roof, construction of reinforced concrete.
The facade is faced with granite on the ground floor ; above this are concrete blocks finished white.
The entrance hall has its walls lined with marble, and the floor is of vitreous mosaic. There are two lifts in the stair well. The stair treads are of pre-cast concrete terrazzo The joinery is of teak and oregon, the principal offices and Board Room being finished with a teak-panelled dado.
Flooring to corridors and waiting-rooms of teak parquet with cork covering to floors of offices. The heating is by means of electric ceiling-panels. All clocks are electric and there are inter-office telephones.
The basement houses necessary electrical apparatus, boiler room for hot water, etc.
These notes were last edited on 2021 11 22
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry