![]() Contact Artefacts | MenuHomeUpfront Now Up Books Towns Structures People Firms Lexicon | Oranje Meisieskool | |||||
| |||||||
Click to view large map Coordinates: | The original building – St. Andrew’s College school and hostel, built in 1889 – was too small to accommodate both the school and the hostel. The architect and builder, a Scot, "Mr. William" (de Heer William) was approached to make the changes. A left wing was immediately added. The single-story building was given a second floor, and a dining hall was built on the northwestern side. The ground sloped downward from the school to the dirt road now called Aliwal Street. The trustees levelled the terrain to establish sportsfields. By 1911 the buildings had water, hot water and electricity. The school has, since its founding, provided for boarders. This was necessary because very few students in rural areas had the opportunity to attend a school. Schools were not easily accessible, and attendance was therefore irregular. The school was officially opened by President Steyn in August 1907. The Groenewald Hall was built in 1911, and was demolished in 1977 to make way for a new administration building. The Home Management building was inaugurated in 1936. The Art Hall was built in 1937. The principal's house was completed in c. 1942. "It was during the war years, and building materials were strictly controlled. Therefore, we chose a thatched roof, and the interior was largely without a ceiling." Initially the house had no electricity. In 1945 the 'Kindertuingebou' was opened. In the 1970s it was used as a dwelling for the superintendent, then later became Oranje Pre-primary. (Summary by Paul v d Merwe from: Meisieskool Oranja, Eeufeesboek (1907-2007). |
|