![]() Contact Artefacts | MenuHomeUpfront Now Up Books Towns Structures People Firms Lexicon | Clare Estate Crematorium | ![]() | |
Click to view large map Coordinates: | The present grounds were ceded to the Hindu residents of Clare Estate in 1904. Until then (since 1860), open-fire cremations took place on private properties. Land owner John Henry Ernest Wall donated the first land to the early residents of Clare Estate. The first plan of the crematorium building was drawn in 1954, but it was not until a determined fund-raising drive from 1961 to 1964 that led to the official opening ceremony by Baljore Gangaram on May 3, 1964. The foundation stone was laid by Mohunlal Ramlakan on June 25, 1961. Now there are two halls that can seat about 500 people, and another that accommodates 250. |
|