Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Leeuwendal Maternity Home
Cape Town, Western Cape

ANDREWS and NIEGEMAN: Architect
Date:1939
Type:Hospital
Status:Demolished

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°56'04.26" S 18°24'20.89" E Alt: 93m

(SAB Nov 1939:66; SA Archt Nov 1940:287)

The name Leeuwendal originates from the time when the market garden and homestead of Hendrik Smuts were situated here. It is listed as such in the Cape Town opgaafrol (census) of 1800.

The Leeuwendal Hospital was acquired by the Mediclinic Group in 1985. It operated first as the Leeuwendal Mediclinic and later as the Cape Town Mediclinic. It was closed down in 1998 when the Mediclinic Group purchased the nearby Volkshospitaal and renamed that the Cape Town Mediclinic. The building was demolished and the Leeuwendal apartment complex built on the site.

Submitted by Lila Komnick.

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Books that reference Leeuwendal Maternity Home

Herbert, Gilbert. 1975. Martienssen & the international style: The modern movement in South African architecture. Cape Town - Rotterdam: AA Balkema. pg 228 ill