Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

House for Sir Alfred Beit
Gordon's Bay, Western Cape

ANDREWS and NIEGEMAN: Architect alterations

Date:1862 : n.d.
Type:Homestead
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
34°09'49.80" S 18°51'47.47" E Alt: 19m

In 1855 the coastal portion of the farm Gustrow, part of the assigned estate of Sir Robert Stanford was divided into erven and sold. Quite soon simple strandhuisies (beach houses) began to appear amongst the melkhout (milkwood) trees and bush around the bay. Only one of these houses – that built by P. F. J. Korsten in 1862 – remains. It is now … the property of Sir Alfred Beit, Bt. The house has been restored and altered with skill and care and, while retaining its nineteenth-century character, has been converted into a comfortable home. On an end gable a small square plaster plaque bears the date 1862 and Pieter Korsten’s full initials – P. F. J. K.

(Heap 1970:159)

Alterations done by ANDREWS and NIEGEMAN in the first half of 1900.


Books that reference House for Sir Alfred Beit

Heap, Peggy. 1970. The Story of Hottentots Holland : Social history of Somerset West, The Strand Gordon's Bay and Sir Lowry Pass over three centuries . Cape Town: Balkema. pg 159