Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

St Luke's Church
Swellendam, Western Cape

Date:1867
Type:Apostolic Church
Status:Extant
Street:72 Voortrek St

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
Alt: 134m

Built as a Wesleyan mission church in 1865, the oldest existing church in Swellendam. The church then became an Anglican mission church and was consecrated in 1874. The church was built on a plot that was deducted from the land of SAF Streicher after his widow's death in 1844. With the removal of most of its congregation in the 1960s to nearby Railton the church was deconsecrated. It is now an Apostolic church. (Fransen 2004:460)


Books that reference St Luke's Church

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 460
Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838-1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 207