please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
Nederduitse Gereformeerde KerkCarl Otto HAGER: Architect
Piketberg, Western Cape
Click to view map
32°54'23.51" S 18°45'10.73" E
'V.D.M.' on the foundation stone stands for Verbi Dei Minister or Divini Minister which is a Latin religious title abbreviation for 'Minister of the Word of God' or otherwise the 'Divine Word'. 'This is generally the preferred title of Calvinist ministers, because they have worked for the extensive de-clericalisation of the church and it is felt to refute any claim or suggestion that the pastor has a more elevated status than the rest of the congregation, in accordance with the doctrine of universal priesthood.'
In 1964-65 the church was extensively restored by the architect W de W BRONKHORST and contractor DL BOONZAAIER. The roof was replaced along with many other improvements. (Hoevers 2005:94)
Writings about this entry
|Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 346|
|Hoevers, Jan. 2005. Van Kerke en Dorpe. Historiese vertellinge oor die oudste kerke en dorpe in Suid-Afrika. Centurion: Publiself Uitgewers. pg 94|
|Hoevers, Jan. 2012. Geskiedkundige kerke : 'n Gids tot 50 tradisionele kerke. Pretoria: Kontak-uitgewers. pg 85-86|
|Krige, Ode. 2015. Carl Otto Hager : argitek tot eer van God, 1813-1898. Hermanus: Hemel & See Boeke. pg 61, 153, 161, 168, 169, 181, 198, 199, 201, 206|
|Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pg 62|
|Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2012. A Platteland Pilgrimage : 102 country churches of South Africa
. South Africa: Booktown Richmond Press. pg 12|
|Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 118|