MUNNIK VISSER BLACK FISH and PARTNERS: Architect restoration 1970s
Click to view map
The Old Drostdy in Graaff-Reinet has undergone many changes since construction began in 1804. Designed by Louis Thibault the building was completed in 1806 and serving as an official building it provided accommodation for inter alia such luminaries as Lord Charles Somerset and Sir Rufane Donkin. From 1819 the Old Drostdy was used as a residency for the local magistrate until 1847 when the building together with the surrounding land was sold by public auction to J.F. Ziervogel. After having been sub-divided and changed hands a number of times the building was bought by Henry Kromm in 1878 and converted into a hotel which became known as Kromm’s Drostdy Hotel.
Shortly after 1900 it was altered extensively into a double story building with a Victorian façade. After Kromm sold it in 1903 it continued as a hotel under various owners until its acquisition in 1975 by Historical Homes of South Africa when the building was restored and with the adjacent Stretch’s Court converted into an upmarket hotel.
(Graaff-Reinet Tourism, History of the Drostdy Hotel, accessed 2021 01 15)
See also Inside one of South Africa's Most Prestigious Heritage Hotels by James Ball, The Heritage Portal, October 21, 2015.
These notes were last edited on 2021 01 15
Writings about this entry