Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Military Hospital
Woodstock, Western Cape

John (Colonel) LEWIS: Architect

Date:Late 1830s
Type:Hospital
Style:Georgian
Status:Demolished late 1930s

The British Army built this hospital on the beachfront between the Castle of Good Hope and Fort Knokke (opposite the present Dormehl, Lewin and Nelson Streets) in the late 1830s. It was used as such until the early twentieth century, and was transferred to the South African government under the Defence Endowment Property Act in 1922. The building stood for a century, until it was demolished during the Table Bay foreshore reclamation project in the late 1930s. Railway lines were later laid across the site.

(Arthur Radburn, March 2024)


Books that reference Military Hospital

De Villiers, J.C & Keyser, A.L . 1983. 'Lost hospitals of the Cape' in SA Medical Journal Special issue (29 June 1983). : . pg 35-37
Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838-1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 273
Rennie Scurr Adendorff on behalf of GladAfrica . 2022. Newmarket Social Housing and Mixed Use Development Integrated Phase 1 Heritage Impact Assessment. : . pg 14-15, 29-30, 61