Boys' High School Gymnasium - now CP Nel Museum
Click to view map
In 1881 the Boys' Public School was established thanks mainly to the untiring efforts of the Rev. G.W. Stegman (Jnr.). In 1905 the Boys' High (C.P. Nel Museum) was designed by C. BULLOCK and inaugurated on 9 April 1907 by Dr. Muir.
In 1912 the Municipal School Board invited designs for the erection of a Gimnasium Hall and two additional classrooms. The designs of Mr. J.E. Vixseboxse were accepted. In keeping with his other designs Vixseboxse designed the facade of the Hall in the Transvaal Neo-Renaissance style.
This Hall today houses a display covering the history of the Boys' High School. The Girls' and Boys' High Schools amalgamated in 1963 to form the Oudtshoorn High School.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry